Why it’s better to shop around for car insurance
Life in 2022 is all about options – food-delivery apps with hundreds of restaurants, streaming services with bottomless content and, for better or worse, dating apps. We’ve also mastered the art of shopping around: the idea of walking into a shop and buying the first TV (or smartwatch, or running shoes, or eye cream) you see is laughable. So why would you behave any differently when it comes to insurance quotes and financial products?
We get it: this whole arena used to be kind of scary. Some suited dude who looks like your dad (only more stern) would show you a pile of paperwork and tell you what your premium is. Wiggle room? What wiggle room?
Luckily, consumers have wised up. Like any industry, the insurance game is competitive, and companies are constantly adjusting their prices to hold on to their clients. If you don’t shop around, you could miss out on some great savings, or better benefits at your current premium.
That’s where we can help. Our real-time comparison engine will find you a range of insurance quotes in minutes, so you can compare.
If you don’t shop around, you could miss out on some great savings, or better benefits at your current premium.
Won’t shopping around hurt my credit score?
First up, good job on having your credit score front of mind (they grow up so fast). But no, getting quotes from multiple insurance companies won’t negatively affect it, so you can shop around to your heart’s (and wallet’s) content.
When should I shop around?
That’s really up to you. You may want to get new quotes if your circumstances have changed – for example, if you’ve moved and your car is now safely tucked in a garage at night rather than being parked on the street. You could also do it as a yearly exercise, to ensure you’re getting the best possible deal. Thanks to our online comparison tool, shopping around for insurance quotes is quick and easy enough to do whenever you please.
You may want to get new quotes if your circumstances have changed – for example, if you’ve moved and your car is now safely tucked in a garage at night.
What are the benefits?
- Um, free money? That is, more room in your budget to spend money on the things you really love.
- A healthier financial picture. If you’re applying for a home loan, for example, banks like to see a healthy ratio of ‘money in’ to ‘money out’ every month. Every expense you can shave down helps.
- It could help your credit score. Pour those extra savings into your debt and you’ll be hitting the black in no time.
- You won’t be taken for granted. If you’ve had the same policy for years without questioning it, your insurance company will think you’re totally happy for that premium to keep creeping up all the time. Not on our watch!
- Knowledge is power. Shopping around and doing your homework means you’ll learn more about the industry and all its jargon. It’s unlikely anyone will be able to take you for a ride, smarty-pants!
If you’ve had the same policy for years without questioning it, your insurance company will think you’re totally happy for that premium to keep creeping up.
Saving money is great, but be sure you don’t do it at the cost of coverage you need. Always read your policy carefully, know what you’re paying for and compare apples with apples.
The best part
BetterCompare is here to make comparing car insurance quotes easier, with our impartial and independent real-time comparison technology.
Sign up here!
Sign up here!
Join our mailing list for all our latest news and articles.